Wednesday 28 January 2009

Comic Aside

Hello,

Here are two images I worked up a while ago, playing in ZBrush, 3DSMAx and Vray. I wanted to see what Superheroes in their classic costumes looked like in the real world. I have to admit that their classic costumes look garish and silly when rendered as real - and yet, somehow, I much prefer them to the post-Matrix, black leather you always see in films nowadays.

First up is Magneto, who was an obvious choice - I remember buying the anniversary reprint of the first issue of X-Men and found his choice of clothing totally bizarre. Such bright colours for such a dark, complicated character.


Next, Green Lantern who, I have to admit, I didn't know too much about about until several years ago - I always found superhero comics to be a bit dull, issue-led and earthbound. But the Green Lantern Corp had adventures beyond space and would tackle crazy ideas, with funky aliens. That was more my thing, what with being a kid obsessed with Star Wars, Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica and Blake's 7.


I'm fascinated by the Green Lantern Corp, their uniforms and quasi-military organisation, it's something I'd never really counted on seeing in American comics. Consider me a convert!

No comments: